|Posted by goldengrains on November 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM||comments (1)|
Thankyou to James Lane who recenlty donated the Elector's Right for Frank Henry Tucker, 20th Nov 1880. Frank Tucker was born in 1858 in Warrnambool. The son of James Tucker & Ann Harding, he moved with his family to East Charlton in the 1870s. His father was a watchmaker and jeweller. Frank became a carpenter and later moved to Wycheproof where in 1883 he opened a timber merchant, builders and undertaking business. His ties to Charlton remained and he opened a branch in Charlton in 1899. After WW1, his son, Private Charles Henry Tucker, joined the business - F. H. Tucker & Son. In 1925 he moved to Geelong West and with Charles established an undertaking business. Frank died in 1932 and the business, Tuckers Funerals, still operates today but is no longer owned by the Tucker family.
|Posted by goldengrains on November 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM||comments (0)|
Thanks to funding from a Local History Grant, we were able to puchase two new showcases. The CWA Cabbaritta branch have put together a lovely display of old and new handicrafts. This display will be available for viewing for the next 6 months.
|Posted by goldengrains on May 25, 2015 at 8:05 PM||comments (0)|
We were delighted to take part in the unveiling of the Pompey Elliott commemorative bust on May 24, 2015. Our secretary, Carolyn Olive, who is also secretary of the Charlton Forum, was the prime motivator to get this project off the ground. After museum members were invited to the unveiling of a Pompey Elliott statue in Ballarat in 2011, they were so impressed the idea for a statue for Charlton was born. The sculptor Louis Laumen was approached and agreed to create a bust based on his Ballarat statue. The museum contributed funds towards the project and Carolyn wrote the text that appears on the plaques. For those who dont know who Pompey is - he was a famous WW1 General and was born in West Charlton. Many of our soldiers were in his 7th Battalion and he remained a friend to the Charlton community throughout the war and afterwards. Photo: Courtesy of Jenny Pollard. Left: Ross McMullin, Pompey biographer; Carolyn Olive, Forum secretary & Harold Heslop OAM, Vic State RSL.
|Posted by goldengrains on May 7, 2014 at 2:30 AM||comments (0)|
We now have a lovely new ktichen in what was for many years, Reg Brownjohn's dark room. After white ants and the flood, the old 1950's kitchen had seen better days. Now we can make a cuppa and do the dishes in running hot water. Very spoilt. Thanks to the Buloke Shire for making it happen for us.
Below: Sue Walsh (Museum President), Marg Wood & Frank Cinquegrana (Buloke Shire) were amoungst those helping us to celebrate with a morning tea. Marg told us how she had her 18th birthday in the Mechanic's Institute in which the musuem is located, and how the night was made even more memorable as Marg and her beau Ted also anounced their engagment.
|Posted by goldengrains on March 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM||comments (0)|
After two long years we are finally open again. Thanks to the many individuals and groups who have supported us in the huge task of restoring our building and collection after the devestating flood in Janaury 2011. We have come a long way and have used this opportunity to reinvent ourselves with a new look layout and modern displays. March 17, 2013 marked the beginning of a new era for us and we were especially pleased to see so many of our friends there to help us celebrate. In our 40th year, we look forward to another 40 years of preserving and sharing Charlton's fantastic history.
|Posted by goldengrains on March 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM||comments (8)|
On January 14, 2011 Charlton was inundated with over half a metre of flood water. Many days of torrential rain on an already soggy landscape meant that our creeks and the Avoca River all flooded at once, wreaking havoc on Charlton and the surrounding farming district. Eighty percent of the town was affected including the Charlton Golden Grains Museum. Almost 60cm of water inundated the museum causing serious damage to the building and its collection. We lost many historical items and photographs etc. as well as our photocopier and most of our display cases. What wasn't damaged by the water, suffered from the severe mould problem which appeared within hours of the water receding. Our collection was packed up and moved to storage in a barn on a local farm and other items were frozen so they could be restored later.
After many generous donations from individuals, businesses and organisations, we were able to replace our showcases, restore many of our precious items and invest in new graphics panels and other props to help us display our collection. The Buloke Shire also worked hard to repair our building and undertook some much needed renovations at the same time.